[tor-dev] Tenative schedule for Tor 0.2.4 [Or, why I might reject your patches in November->March]

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Fri Sep 7 21:53:44 UTC 2012

Thus spake Mike Perry (mikeperry at torproject.org):

> Thus spake Nick Mathewson (nickm at freehaven.net):
>
> > Last year, I announced a tenative schedule for 0.2.3.x.  We didn't
> > stick to it, and things have gone a little pear-shaped with getting
> > 0.2.3.x stabilized, but I think with a few tweaks we can use something
> > similar to get a good schedule out for 0.2.4.x.
> >
> > My goals remain about what they were before: get release out faster by
> > getting better at saying "no" to features after a release window.  My
> > target is March or April 2013.
> >
> > To that end:
> >
> > [*snip schedule dates I'm certain to forget anyways*]
> >
> > On the meaning of "feature": I'm probably going to argue that some
> > things that you think are bugfixes are features.  I'm probably going
> > to argue that your security bugfix is actually a security feature.
> > I'm probably even going to argue that most non-regression bugfixes are
> > features.  Let's try to get a release out *early* in 2013 this time,
> > come heck or high water.
>
> For people who are only occasionally/tangentially involved in tor-core
> development like myself, it might be useful to have some kind of active
> ping/reminder on tickets with the Tor-0.2.4.x-final trac milestone
> around the deadline deadline date(s) you deem applicable for that
> ticket.
>
> Unless it is way more work for you, I think I would prefer per-ticket
> reminders on trac to blanket email announcements, so I know exactly what
> and when I should care about getting something done if I really want it
> done, and what deadline category you think each thing falls in to.

Just saw that there's already 184 tickets currently in
Tor-0.2.4.x-final. Wow.

So maybe instead: We can all try to tag things in Tor-0.2.4.x-final with
the right deadline tag, and then you can just do announcement emails?
And/or the project coordinator can handle pinging people/tickets at the
deadline points?

--
Mike Perry