[tor-dev] Tenative schedule for Tor 0.2.4 [Or, why I might reject your patches in November->March]

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Fri Sep 7 20:15:05 UTC 2012

Thus spake Nick Mathewson (nickm at freehaven.net):

> Last year, I announced a tenative schedule for 0.2.3.x.  We didn't
> stick to it, and things have gone a little pear-shaped with getting
> 0.2.3.x stabilized, but I think with a few tweaks we can use something
> similar to get a good schedule out for 0.2.4.x.
>
> My goals remain about what they were before: get release out faster by
> getting better at saying "no" to features after a release window.  My
> target is March or April 2013.
>
> To that end:
>
> [*snip schedule dates I'm certain to forget anyways*]
>
> On the meaning of "feature": I'm probably going to argue that some
> things that you think are bugfixes are features.  I'm probably going
> to argue that your security bugfix is actually a security feature.
> I'm probably even going to argue that most non-regression bugfixes are
> features.  Let's try to get a release out *early* in 2013 this time,
> come heck or high water.

For people who are only occasionally/tangentially involved in tor-core
development like myself, it might be useful to have some kind of active
ping/reminder on tickets with the Tor-0.2.4.x-final trac milestone
around the deadline deadline date(s) you deem applicable for that
ticket.

Unless it is way more work for you, I think I would prefer per-ticket
reminders on trac to blanket email announcements, so I know exactly what
and when I should care about getting something done if I really want it
done, and what deadline category you think each thing falls in to.

--
Mike Perry