[tor-dev] Tor bufferbloat

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 19:40:45 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 11:52 AM, David Goulet <dgoulet at ev0ke.net> wrote:
> ... the problem of "bufferbloat" which is encountered in network
> bottlenecks.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bufferbloat
> http://www.bufferbloat.net/

yup. particularly bad at the edges...

> Anyhow, I looked around for some recent studies on the Tor network
> about such congestion issues but I can't find any information on if
> this phenomenon is observed on the Tor network.
>
> Someone knows about that?

there are half a dozen papers on the topic in anonbib:
  http://freehaven.net/anonbib/topic.html

and alternate proposals like IPsec telescopes and DTLS transports with
end-to-end congestion control/avoidance specifically to avoid queuing
at intermediate hops.

i'm not aware of research on AQM applied to low latency anonymous
networks, but i'm not up to date on the latest research :)

best regards,