[tor-dev] Even more notes on relay-crypto constructions

unknown unknown at pgpru.com
Fri Oct 12 17:53:04 UTC 2012

>On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 19:17:22 +0000
>unknown <unknown at pgpru.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Oct 2012 00:28:38 -0400
> Nick Mathewson <nickm at torproject.org> wrote:
>
> > So to be concrete, let me suggest a few modes of operation.  I believe
> > I'm competent to implement these:
>
> I think (IMHO) Keccak makes many (most?) symmetric encryption modes
> obsolete in the near future.

What I wrote about Keccak one year ago:

https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2011-November/003020.html

Now Keccak is SHA-3. I hope Keccak will soon replace everything:
from old messy code in the entropy accumulator and distillator
in /dev/random to AES-CTR-HMAC encryption in SSL.
From complex RSA-OAEP padding mode in signatures to exotic tweaked
block-ciphers.

Keccak is simpler to implement without mistakes and easier to design
a protocols with solid security proofs. It's universal by
generic inner structure properties without need any special
additional modules or switches.