[tor-dev] 10 days left for proposals for hard stuff [Re: Reminder: Big/tricky/interesting features for 0.2.4 need proposals by 10 October]

Nick Mathewson nickm at alum.mit.edu
Mon Oct 8 02:48:17 UTC 2012

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Fabio Pietrosanti (naif)
<lists at infosecurity.ch> wrote:
> On 10/1/12 6:49 PM, Nick Mathewson wrote:
>>> Hi, all!
>>>
>>> From https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/roadmaps/Tor/024 :
>>>
>>> "October 10, 2012: Big feature proposal checkpoint. Any large
>>> complicated feature which requires a design proposal must have its
>>> first design proposal draft by this date."
>
> Do you think that this feature to handle TorHS Key via Tor CP would
> require to take a proposal to be within 0.2.4.x ?
>
> Ref:

I tagged it as "maybe proposal" because it involves a protocol change.
 I am not sure whether the change it requires would be big enough to
require a proposal for the 10th of this month or not.

I don't need a huge writeup: Just enough to explain how it's supposed
to work and why you'd want to do it that way.  The "write the whole
private key in one argument" thing seems off to me, as does putting
the responsibility for private key management on the controller
exclusively.

(That patch is a nonstarter for other reasons, too; see the comment I
just posted to the ticket.  Heap overflows are not our friends.)

--
Nick