[tor-dev] Damian's Status Report - September 2012

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Thu Oct 4 14:34:02 UTC 2012

Hi all. As is often the case work and such meant not too much time for
tor. For September all I have to report is...

* Network Status Document Parsing

This has been my main focus for September and it's still not
finished... but it's close! Version 3 document parsing just has a
couple days of work left, then abstracting it to cover v2 documents
and microdescriptors should be relatively easy-ish. I'm really looking
forward to merging this feature branch. It has grown quite
monstrous...

https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/atagar/stem.git/shortlog/refs/heads/document-parsing

* Stem Documentation Hosting

For a while now I've had a TODO item for making a nightly cron that
built and hosted Stem's new sphinx documentation. I was about to do
this when I recalled that meejah once recommended ReadTheDocs, a
service that does... well, exactly that. After a few minor bumps
[1][2][3] it's now live...

https://stem.readthedocs.org/

We definitely need to put effort into making them more reader
friendly. At present it's just a dump of all the pydocs which, while
informative, is actually a bit overwhelming for new users. Module
summary pages would greatly help.

* MAPADDRESS Support

Ravi submitted a patch for adding MAPADDRESS support to stem's
controller. It's a nice addition, especially the integ test...

https://trac.torproject.org/6951

* Arm Issues

Looked into a couple arm issues...

- Tor's start time didn't show up if the system has proc contents but
we fail to parse it [5].
- Can't connect when using a control socket with password auth [6].

* Updated Dev Wiki

development tasks [4]. Updated stem's wiki with what was in that
email...

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/stem

Cheers! -Damian

[1] https://github.com/rtfd/readthedocs.org/issues/255