[tor-dev] Request for comments on notes on parallel cell crypto

Ian Goldberg iang at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Nov 19 22:18:48 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 05:06:58PM -0500, Nick Mathewson wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Andrea Shepard <andrea at torproject.org> wrote:
> > I've made some notes on parallelizing cell crypto on relays which I've
> > attached to this mail and added to the wiki page on this [1], which I
> > would like comment on.  Particularly, I want to resolve the following
> > points:
> >
> >  * Should we operate on cell_t or packed_cell_t?

I seem to have missed the original email here.  What is the link [1]?

Having just upgraded my exit node to a reasonable machine, I found that
even though the AES should be super-fast (with AES-NI, etc.), the
public-key ops are still killing the CPU.  I split the node into two
processes, but multithreading the public-key ops (to a configurable
number of threads, like say 7) would appear to be a big bang-for-buck
win.

   - Ian