[tor-dev] Working on GUI

intrigeri intrigeri at boum.org
Wed Nov 7 17:41:25 UTC 2012

Hi,

Damian Johnson wrote (06 Nov 2012 23:31:02 GMT) :
> Runa A. Sandvik wrote (06 Nov 2012 22:44:03 GMT) :
>> Actually, both Tails and the Tor Browser Bundle could benefit from
>> a usability study.

Thank you, Runa, for mentioning Tails here.

> Usability studies only help if there's development resources to make
> the suggestions happen. Mike and Tails should be the ones to make
> the call about if they have the bandwidth to take advantage of
> a usability study or not.

A part of Tails that we know does need usability improvements is the
tails-greeter boot menu (ticket [1]).

  [1] https://tails.boum.org/todo/tails-greeter:_revamp_UI/

Some thought was given to it, and a few mockups [2] were produced.
This is probably not enough foundations for a proper usability study,
but it shows we do want to revamp that thing with usability in mind,
and at least one of us is up to development work on it.

 [2] https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2012-October/001781.html

I'm unsure if any one of us has the bandwidth needed to take advantage
of a full-blown usability study, but that's clearly worth proposing
and discussing. I'm thus Cc'ing tails-dev to initiate the
discussion there.

(Side note: we've also had some bolder and crazier ideas that are
still to be written clearly somewhere public (e.g. integrate the
persistence setup within the greeter, allow persisting some greeter
settings), and may be worth integrating in a usability study, whose
scale would get much bigger, though.)

Cheers,
--
  intrigeri