[tor-dev] [tor-talk] torsocks is broken and unmaintained

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Sun Nov 4 23:03:14 UTC 2012

Matthew Finkel:
> On 11/02/2012 07:36 PM, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
>> Nick Mathewson:

>>> I'd like to see more discussion from more people here first, and see
>>> whether somebody steps up to say, "Yeah, I can maintain that" here, or
>>> whether somebody else who knows more than me about the issues has something
>>> to say.  Otherwise I don't know whether to write a "looking for maintainer"
>>> post, a "who wants to fork" post, a "don't use Torsocks, use XYZZY" post,
>>> or what.
>>>

>> If Robert wants someone to maintain it, I'd be happy to do so. I had
>> wanted to extend it to do some various things anyway. I think it would
>> be a suitable base for a bunch of things I'd like to do in the next year.
>>
>> All the best,
>> Jake
>>

> I saw this thread earlier but didn't have a chance to reply. I was
> thinking about volunteering to patch it up and maintain it if no one
> else wanted to take it on, also, but if you want to take the lead on it
> then I'm more than happy to help you where ever possible...assuming this
> is the direction that's decided upon.

Hi,

I've pushed my first branch to fix the dlopen bugs:

  https://gitweb.torproject.org/torsocks.git/shortlog/refs/heads/dlerror

It seems to fix the issues on my Ubuntu system. I could use some testing
on OS X, other GNU/Linux, and *BSD systems.

I've also updated the bug:

 http://code.google.com/p/torsocks/issues/detail?id=3

One person has found that it fixed the issue for them as well.

Also - it seems that we probably should address this issue very soon:

 http://code.google.com/p/torsocks/issues/detail?id=37

 https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/torsocks#WorkaroundforIPv6leakbug

I've taken a stab at at least blocking IPv6 connect() calls:

  https://gitweb.torproject.org/torsocks.git/shortlog/refs/heads/ipv6

https://gitweb.torproject.org/torsocks.git/commit/95528585c1d13b0e17e9d35387c45adec9774457

Thoughts?

All the best,