[tor-dev] Fwd: Re: Can we stop sanitizing nicknames in bridge descriptors?

Sebastian G. <bastik.tor> bastik.tor at googlemail.com
Tue May 29 19:04:53 UTC 2012

Karsten Loesing, 29.05.2012 19:43:
>> I did just that.
>>
>> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/DataExtractionForComparison
>
> Thanks for creating that page.  Looks line a fine start, though you'll
> want to automate more things when looking at 2012 tarballs.

Well without grep I'd be still copying out nicknames.

> grep and friends are fine tools to process Tor descriptors.  If you can,
> find a Unix/Linux-like environment for Windows (Cygwin?) and combine the
> powers of grep with sort, uniq, and maybe sed or awk.  These tools are
> friggin' fast!

Cygwin might not be the right solution. I would have to compile the
tools from source. Lucky me, those tools are available for Windows.
Thanks to the people providing the binaries and the docs.

I have to look if they are equal to the tools you have mentioned. awk is
named gawk. All of them are command-line tools and I have to learn how
to use them.

And I need to figure out how to strip the "r" or copy only the nickname.

> If you're comfortable with Java and want to do more fancy stuff with Tor
> descriptors, take a look at metrics-lib:
>
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/metrics-lib.git
>
> If you're a Python person, you'll like stem, even though it only
> implements parsing of a subset of Tor descriptors.  More to come soon:
>
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/stem.git

Thanks to anyone for coding on them or otherwise maintaining them.

I can't compile stuff, read or write code. That includes scripting.
There's a reason why I'm on Windows.

Regards,
Sebastian