[tor-dev] Thandy and what's next

Tomás Touceda chiiph at torproject.org
Sun May 13 21:23:41 UTC 2012

On 5/3/12 11:40 AM, Runa A. Sandvik wrote:
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 3:33 AM, Tomás Touceda <chiiph at torproject.org> wrote:
>> tldr; everything is there, it works and it probably has bugs, we need to
>> deploy and see.
>
> How about sending a list to tor-dev with information about how to
> test, and where to file bugs? I'm sure a number of people on this list
> would be more than happy to help out, myself included.

May be, but testing is the hardest part, we aren't in the "please
download this for testing and report bugs here" part yet. The person
that would do the testing needs to setup the whole repository and create
different sets of packages. The idea with doing a testing deployment was
to work out these parts and leave the "test the software that the user
will see" to early adopters.

A list right now will be something along the lines of:
- Clone Thandy, read the docs, setup a repository.
- Create packages, bundles and thp data packages, then create updates
for those in the form of: update the whole bundle, update just one
package within the bundle. Also create a package that would act as the
bootstrap package to test the case "update the bootstrap app", create a
package that would act as Thandy itself, another for Vidalia for similar
purposes.
- Clone thandy-bootstrapper, build it.
- Create a binary for the Thandy client with PyInstaller.
- Use the latest Vidalia alpha with the thandy plugin from
vidalia-plugins.git repo.
- Simulate updating each of the packages/bundles you've created and see
where it breaks.
- Report bugs to trac.torproject.org under the Thandy component.

If we create a repo with actual functional packages and a tbb with the
thandy plugin and bootstrapper, and we keep the packages up to date with
the tor/torbrowser/vidalia releases, we can just tell the users
"download this (having in mind that it's for testing and things might
break) and just use it, it should update by itself, if something breaks,
report to trac".