[tor-dev] Tor for iOS via official channels

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) lists at infosecurity.ch
Mon Mar 19 09:00:34 UTC 2012

On 3/19/12 1:24 AM, Andrew Lewman wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 15:42:33 +0200
> Linas Valiukas <shirshegsm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was thinking about a GSoC 2012 project I could propose, and I came
>> to the question of why there's no Tor iOS (iPhone / iPad / iPod
>> touch) application distributed on the official iTunes App Store?
>
> People have tried in the past and been rejected for being a
> 'proxy/circumvention tool'.

But considering that CovertBrowser got into the apple store, it means
that as long as "Tor" will be provided as "anonymity feature" of a
Mobile application, where the Mobile Application is compliant with Apple
Terms of Service, it should pass.

So while thinking about Tor and iOS we should probably think that Tor
must represent, like for Covert Browser, a "pluggable/linkable" system
to provided anonymity feature to an application.

Are there any chance to convince the Covert Browser developer to release
it's code?

We may arrange a kickstarter project to "open" the result of his
research, so he would earn some thousand USD in exchange for the
opensourcing of the project.

What do you think?

-naif