[tor-dev] Proc Unit Testing & Next Project

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Thu Jun 28 00:37:33 UTC 2012

> After talking about it with Professor Danner, we would like to stick
> with the Tor Descriptors prject rather than work on Onionoo.

Sounds good.

> Professor Danner brought up that if this project isn't maintained, our
> work could be fruitless

Actually, *my* interest in the Onionoo project is that it would first
consist of "expand stem to cover the things it's missing, including
tests cuz Damian is picky" so even if the Onionoo part wasn't
successful it certainly would be far from fruitless.

> ... and at this point we would prefer to stick
> with Python.

This part confuses me. The project is to make a *python* Onionoo. ;)

All that said, also happy for you to focus on other stuff.

> - What environment did you want the proc unit tests run under in
> Windows.  Since Cygwin only supports up to python 2.6 currently, we
> would need to rebuild python (2.7) in order to allow the tests to run.
>  Under the vanilla windows command prompt, we need to have an instance
> of tor already running on the computer.  Generally speaking, we don't
> have much access to windows development machines, so any advice you
> have would be appreciated.

Stem should be compatible with python 2.5 and above (in the 2.x
series). If you're assuming that you need python 2.7 based on prior
issues then please try the current master - I just made a lot of fixes
around supporting older python versions. :P

Beck: Any suggestions on this?

> - For writing integration tests for proc, we aren't sure how to test
> get_memory_usage(), get_stats(), and get_connections()...

Hmmm, don't worry too much about the integ tests for proc. Personally
I'm more interested in their unit tests, since those allow me to repro
problems encountered on other distributions. If you can think of a
clever method for testing something then go for it. If not then don't
worry about it.

One option would be to test proc against the tor instance that is
currently running. Asserting, for instance, that get_memory_usage() is
greater than a kilobyte and that get_connections() provides the
control connection.

I'll try to reply to the unit testing revisions soon-ish, though I'm
heading back to Vashon for a funeral this weekend so it might be a
little while.

Cheers! -Damian