[tor-dev] Open Proposals as of June 2012

Nick Mathewson nickm at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jun 19 14:12:15 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 8:30 PM, Jacob Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net> wrote:
> On 06/18/2012 11:26 PM, Nick Mathewson wrote:
>> This list of open Tor proposals is based on one I sent out in May of
>> last year.  Since I'd like to do this more regularly, I have added to
>> each description the date when I wrote it.  Most of the summaries from
>> older proposals are unchanged since last May;  the later ones in the
>> list for 6/2012 I wrote pretty quickly since I want to get out the
>> door tonight for an appointment, but I want to send this list out
>> without further delay.
>
> Perhaps this would make for a nice weekly cronjob? :)

Say rather, a regular task for me to do around the middle of the
month.  I don't expect movement to be so fast that much changes each
week

>> OPEN, DRAFT, AND ACCEPTED PROPOSALS:
>>
>>    117 IPv6 exits
>>
>>      IPv6 is still the future, but now it's the kind of future
>>      that's unevenly distributed.  It's time to do this one so that
>>      IPv6 traffic can be sent over Tor.
>>
>>      It needs updating to work properly with microdescriptors; it
>>      also has some open questions about DNS. (6/2012)
>

> I'm a little unclear on the issue of DNS with regard to v6. I feel like
> we're having lots of DNS blocking issues. What specifically is the
> issue? Is Linus hacking on this?

Mostly concerning which address to connect to when a user says "BEGIN
www.example.com", and which to report to the user, under what
circumstances.  The proposal, though kind of old and funky, *does*
explain this.

[....]
> psychoed? :-)

Whee spellcheck.