[tor-dev] Dreamplug trouble

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Wed Jun 13 18:42:20 UTC 2012

On 06/13/2012 08:57 AM, Linus Nordberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> An hour ago I had a beautiful dreamplug laying next to me on my table,
> booting freedombox, making me happy.
>
> Now I have a beautiful dreamplug nicely mounted in a rack in a hall next
> to me, not booting at all, making me sad.

> U-Boot 2011.06-02334-g8f495d9-dirty (May 31 2011 - 02:06:26)
> Marvell-DreamPlug
>
> SoC:   Kirkwood 88F6281_A0
> CPU running @ 1200Mhz L2 running @ 400Mhz
> SysClock = 400Mhz , TClock = 200Mhz
> DRAM:  512 MiB
> SF: Detected MX25L1606 with page size 256, total 1 MiB
> In:    serial
> Out:   serial
> Err:   serial
> Net:   egiga0, egiga1
> 88E1116 Initialized on egiga0
> 88E1116 Initialized on egiga1
> Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
> *** ERROR: `ipaddr' not set
> ping failed; host 192.168.2.1 is not alive
> No link on egiga1
> *** ERROR: `ipaddr' not set
> ping failed; host 192.168.2.1 is not alive
> (Re)start USB...
> USB:   Register 10011 NbrPorts 1
> USB EHCI 1.00
> scanning bus for devices... 5 USB Device(s) found
>        scanning bus for storage devices... Device NOT ready
>    Request Sense returned 02 3A 00
> 3 Storage Device(s) found
> reading uImage
>
> 0 bytes read
> Wrong Image Format for bootm command
> ERROR: can't get kernel image!
> Marvell>>
>
> It finds 5 USB devices, one of which is a USB stick with the freedombox
> filesystem on it.
>
> Did I break it when I moved it?  Ideas?

The DreamPlug is a piece of crap - welcome to hell! :)

I think that you likely want to ensure that you copy the kernel over to
the internal /boot or things won't work very well. The USB bus seems to
not work very well with the version of uboot that ships on the device.
It works mostly alright after the Linux kernel is loaded.

All the best,
Jake