[tor-dev] Stem Testing Mocking Issue

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Wed Jun 13 02:21:01 UTC 2012

Hi Megan, thanks for the patch! What is an example of a standard
library function with a builtin type? I'd like to exercise the use
case that has been causing you trouble.

This change has a couple issues, for instance it treats anything with
the same name as a builtin like a builtin. It also calls setattr() on
standard library functions if you try to mock it a second time.

I've pushed an adaptation of your change to the 'mocking' branch of my
personal repository...
git://git.torproject.org/user/atagar/stem.git

change...
https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/atagar/stem.git/commitdiff/5029e4b9b92dbacdfc49867b7dcbee230ca782a8

It shouldn't have the issues that I mentioned, though some remaining
bits of the change confuse me. As you've found the mocking code is
pretty tricky so I won't be able to make sense of it until I see what
was breaking.

Thanks! -Damian

PS. Very nice commit message on b8b7c22. It helped me a lot in making
sense of the change - thanks for that.