[tor-dev] Stem Sphinx Documentation

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Wed Jun 6 17:32:21 UTC 2012

Thanks, Karsten.

> - Does ExtraInfoDescriptor support bridge descriptors yet?  Those don't
> contain a signature, which means that the signature variable shouldn't
> be marked as required.  Also, there should be a digest() method for
> RelayExtraInfoDescriptor and a digest variable for
> BridgeExtraInfoDescriptor; the relay descriptor digest is calculated,
> whereas the bridge descriptor digest is parsed from the "router-digest"
> line.

> - ServerDescriptor also has a digest() method for both relay and bridge
> descriptors.  The same reasoning about a digest() method for relays and
> a digest variable for bridges applies here, too.  In the documentation
> of digest(), better talk about "network status entry" instead of "server
> descriptor entry".

Ack! Good points. Time permitting I'll fix these over the weekend.

> - Why does digest() return the base64-encoded digest, not the
> hex-formatted one?  Network statuses are the only documents in Tor using
> base64 (or rather, a variant of it without trailing ='s), so it's easier
> to convert those to hex than to convert everything else to base64.  Now,
> if you switch to hex, you'll only have to decide between lower-case and
> upper-case.  I think Tor and metrics-lib use upper-case hex in most places.

I went with base64 because I thought that this was only useful for
comparing with the network status. What uses the hex encoded digest?

> - Should the conn_bi_direct_* variables be grouped under "Bi-directional
> connection usage:"?
>
> And here are a few typos that I found while reading:
>
> - "fastest querter" -> "fastest quarter"
>
> - "circuits in a deciles" -> "circuits in a decile"
>
> - "doens't conform" -> "doesn't conform"
>
> - "averate rate" -> "average rate"
>
> - "appeard" -> "appeared"

great, changed

> - address_alt is not bridge-specific, but relays are going to list
> additional OR addresses in their descriptors in the near future.

Yup, but they don't yet nor is it in the tor spec (last that I
checked). I was planning to move it up to the ServerDescriptor class
when it is.