[tor-dev] [GSoC]Tails-server

warms0x warms0x at riseup.net
Wed Jun 6 05:43:47 UTC 2012

> Hello,
> the "community bonding period" is over for quite some time now,
> but as I have previously said in my application,
> I (unfortunately) won't be able to start my GSoC until the 8th of June.
>
> About the testing environment now:
> It seems like liveCD testing is not something
> that interest people very much. The autotesting repo[3]
> of debian-live is a 404, and even if it wasn't,
> the documentation is lacking.
> The "mainstream way" for doing system-wide/vm/liveCD tests is
> autotest[4], but it seems completely overkill to me.
>
> This is why I am currently playing around with lettuce[2],
> a nice Python-powered BDD tool.

Interesting tool! I hadn't heard of Lettuce before. Unfortunately the
chaps in the Ruby community seem to have quite a few more tools than the
Python community.

You may find the steps defined by the Aruba gem[1] interesting, especially
when you consider combining something like that with Vagrant. If you take
the assumption that a Vagrant-based testing environment would have
scenarios such as (forgive my unfamiliarity with the project):

  Scenario: Explicitly persist a file between boots of Tails
    Given I am running tails
    And a file named "test.txt"
    When I explicitly persist "test.txt"
    And I reboot the machine
    Then "test.txt" should still be available

You may also find some interesting information in this[2] blog post about
testing with Vagrant. In the blog post, there's a Vagrant plugin "sahara"
[3] mentioned which you should look into regardless of what you're doing
to make sure you're not waiting too long for you tests to complete.

[1] https://github.com/cucumber/aruba
[2] http://paperairoplane.net/?p=240
[3] https://github.com/jedi4ever/sahara

Hope I could be of some help.