[tor-dev] txtorcon 0.2

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) lists at infosecurity.ch
Mon Jun 4 06:48:43 UTC 2012

On 6/1/12 8:45 PM, Damian Johnson wrote:
>> (If this type of mail isn't appropriate for tor-dev please let me
>> know...)
>
> It's perfectly appropriate - glad to hear about the improvements!
>
> On a side note, do you think that any txtorcon/stem work would be
> appropriate? They're both aiming to be a library that does largely the
> same things. The twisted/threading differences mean that our
> controller classes are incompatible, but other bits of the parsing and
> such should be interchangeable. For instance, I've invested an immense
> amount of effort into parsing (and tests) for descriptor content...
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/stem.git/blob/HEAD:/stem/descriptor/server_descriptor.py
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/stem.git/blob/HEAD:/stem/descriptor/extrainfo_descriptor.py
>
> so that things like "GETINFO desc/*" will provide usefully parsed
> information. We could probably also share connection and
> authentication code.

Yes please, try to make a set of generic and small sub-libraries as
possible.

It seems to me that within the Tor community, for everything that's not
the "tor core c code", there's a lot of duplication, duplicated code
around or abbandoned projects.

Additionally you might consider rewriting, based on STEM, the ooonioo
software that is now written in heavy Java.

Based on your parsers it should take probably few hours to provide the
Atlas's REST interface.

-naif