[tor-dev] Pyonionoo Descriptors

Sathyanarayanan Gunasekaran gsathya at torproject.org
Sat Jul 28 09:44:42 UTC 2012

Hi,

>> We were
>> wondering what some of the entries might look like so we would be able to
>> see what information was being parsed to fill in some of the fields such as
>> the bandwidth handler's "write_history" and "read_history". We noticed that
>> the router descriptor format includes "write_history" and "read_history"
>> according to torspec but again, we aren't too sure on what these entries
>> look like.

If you want some sample summary, bandwidth, or details documents to
see see how they look like, I can send you the ones I got from Karsten
during the Tor dev meeting.

>> Also, we don't know how to approach the fields in the details
>> handler that require GeoIP information. Any tips on this?
>
> Onionoo uses Maxmind's Java API, their GeoIP database, and their AS
> database to resolve IP addresses to country/AS information.  There's a
> Python API, too, which I think Sathya used for his network entropy code:
>
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/metrics-tasks.git/tree/HEAD:/task-6232/pygeoip

Here is the Python API for parsing the GeoIP database:
http://appliedsec.github.com/pygeoip/

Although, I'm not entirely sure why the web service part of pyonionoo
would have to parse GeoIP data or calculate bandwidth histories?

Also, I have a ticket to track the progress of the pyonionoo backend
in case anyone's interested:

Thanks!
-Sathya