[tor-dev] Why change the bridges.torproject.org website to avoid to get bridges by script?

Aaron aagbsn at torproject.org
Thu Jul 26 14:51:52 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 2:41 AM, ??Phoenixing <1935842336 at qq.com> wrote:
> Hi
>    I live in a country which it block the tor net strictly! Only I can do is
> that I get the bridges from the website. I just want  to get the bridges
> automaticly by writing a script. But now I must get the bridges hand by hand
> and one by one. It's more uncomfortable! Could you change it back?

Sadly, bridges.torproject.org is visited by a number of automated
programs, some of which we suspect are used to harvest the list of
bridges in order to block them.

We hope that adding Captchas to bridges.torproject.org will make it
harder to harvest the list of bridges automatically; the upside being
that the bridges you do get will last longer before being blocked.

I am very interested in any feedback you have regarding bridge
lifetime. Have you noticed that the bridges you get no longer work?
How long do bridges work for you, typically? Any feedback you can give
is helpful!

--Aaron