[tor-dev] Building a two-hop circuit

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Fri Jul 20 05:20:15 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 12:47:19AM -0400, Ray Sweha wrote:
> Hi all,
> I was wondering if there is a way to force Tor to build a two-hop
> path/circuit through torrc.
> It seems that both "Pathlen 2" and "PathlenCoinWeight 0.0" are depreciated,
> is there a substitute for them?
> Thanks,
> -Ray

Option one: modify DEFAULT_ROUTE_LEN and recompile.

Option two: use the control protocol to EXTENDCIRCUIT the two hops
you had in mind.

That said, please only do this as part of a research exercise:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorFAQ#Youshouldletpeoplechoosetheirpathlength.

Using two hops without entry guards will greatly reduce your anonymity:
https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq#EntryGuards
and using entry guards with one extra hop will also be quite bad.

--Roger