[tor-dev] First five Tor tech reports

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Wed Jul 18 17:05:30 UTC 2012

On 7/18/12 5:12 PM, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 6:12 AM, Karsten Loesing <karsten at torproject.org> wrote:
>> here are the first five metrics tech reports that I'd like to turn into
>> Tor tech reports (see #5405 for the idea behind this).
>
> I'd like to offer some typographical improvements -- it looks like
> these are being generated with mostly default LaTeX settings, which
> are not great for PDFs that people will mostly read online.

Oh, that would be very useful.  Maybe we can come up with a template for
all Tor tech reports.

> Some of
> the graphs are also very hard to read (dashed lines don't work very
> well for plots that jump up and down a lot).

Right.  There's always the trade-off between using colored graphs which
don't go well when printed and dashed/dotted lines which are at least
equally useful on screen and on paper.  I'm open to suggestions there.
(Note that the graph sources are in a different Git repository than the
LaTeX sources.)

> I see that there is a git repository for the sources, can I just clone
> it, make changes, and put the diffs somewhere?  What would be most
> convenient for you?

I just committed the LaTeX sources of these reports very quickly to my
new public tech-reports repository:

https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/karsten/tech-reports.git

If you can clone the branch and put yours somewhere from where I can
pull, that would work best.  git format-patch also works fine.

Once reports are ready for "publication", I'll merge things into the
official tech-reports.git repo.

Thanks!
Karsten