[tor-dev] Encrypted PM site/hidden service

krugar tor-admin at krugar.de
Thu Jul 12 17:12:01 UTC 2012

take a look at https://anonbox.net/ for a similar service.

a few considerations: if you create an "app" that lives on a mobile
phone, are private keys stored on the phone? are they secured somehow
while the app is running / not running? which public keys will be stored
on the phone? will messages be stored on the phone?
will someone always know who sent a PM, or only if the sender so
chooses? how do you know how to reach someone on your service? are there
pseudonyms? how long to they last? what about key revocation?
what happens if the server is compromised somehow, will attackers be
able to look at the data and see who wrote messages to whom? for which
time period?

try to clearly define which privacy guarantees you try to achieve
against which type of attacker. the more precise you write this down,
the easier someone can help you spot weaknesses in your concept, and the
better for you and your users once the system is live.
http://dud.inf.tu-dresden.de/Anon_Terminology.shtml may help if you are
uncertain about wording.

cheers
-k