[tor-dev] Onionoo in Python

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) lists at infosecurity.ch
Tue Jul 10 16:22:23 UTC 2012

On 7/10/12 6:18 PM, Damian Johnson wrote:
>> On APAF (anonymous python application framework) GSoc project, to build
>> cross-platform Windows, OSX, Linux applications including Tor there is
>> the use of Twisted+Cyclone.
>
> I'm still not clear though - what is the advantage of providing
> Onionoo as a hidden service? We shouldn't add dependencies, especially
> on a new project like APAF, without clear and substantial benefits.

The Tor Hidden Service support of APAF is just a "small part" of what it
does provide.

At first it does provide you an environment to build a Desktop
Applications, with an easy-build-system integrating Tor and nicely
looking UI elements for Windows and OSX, including an embedded browser.

So basically if you would like to make a desktop application including
Onionoo & Atlas together to provide an end-user an application that he
can download to query/search/analyze the Consensus, APAF it's a good choice.
If you just need to do it for a single application that does not need to
be installed and/or distributed hundreds/thousands of time, then the
APAF framework may not be the right choice.

-naif