[tor-dev] Stem Descriptor Parsers

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Fri Jul 6 08:10:13 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 4:25 AM, Norman Danner <ndanner at wesleyan.edu> wrote:
> Do I understand Onionoo correctly to be basically a small webservice that
> returns a JSON formatted description of data read from a file based on the
> HTTP request parameters, along with a program that presumably runs with some
> frequency to create that file?

Yes, that pretty much describes it.

> It seems that at least porting the
> webservice side to a Django webapp might be a reasonable project for the
> rest of our summer.

Sounds great!

Would it be possible for the Django webapp to offer the same protocol
(as in, GET requests) as the current Java servlet?

> However, the little bit of software development that I learned does make me
> want to ask:  Why a Python port or this component?

The main reason is that there are far more potential developers who
can maintain and extend the Python version of Onionoo than the Java
version of it.

Best,
Karsten