[tor-dev] Tor and DNS

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Jan 30 06:59:39 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 05:13:19PM -0500, Nick Mathewson wrote:
> But I think the right design is probably something like allowing
> clients to request more DNS info via exit nodes' nameservers, and get
> more info back. We should think of ways to do this that avoid extra
> round trips, but that should be doable.

Ha. That'll teach me to answer tor-dev threads assuming nobody broke
the threading. :)

So Nick, are you thinking we want a way for exit relays to receive an
already-formatted dns query inside the Tor protocol, and get it onto
the network somehow heading towards their configured nameservers? Or
did you have something else in mind?

I wonder if we want a begin_dns relay command, sort of like the current
begin and begin_dir commands, and then just let them talk TCP to one of
our nameservers? Or is that too much like the previous hacks?

--Roger