[tor-dev] Size issues with Orbot statically linking OpenSSL

Nathan Freitas nathan at freitas.net
Tue Jan 17 03:00:48 UTC 2012

On 01/15/2012 03:47 PM, Nick Mathewson wrote:
> Some stuff to try: openssl has lots of optional features and ciphers;
> you could probably disable a lot of them.  There are configuration
> options to do so.  If you're not sure what,  I could try to take a look
> at the list some time this week.

That would be very helpful, or at least, if you can point me to a spec
that indicates which features of OpenSSL that Tor relies upon I can
start there.

> linker to dump the unused ones. I believe it's called "gc-segments" or
> something. I have no idea if it would work with openssl, but it could be
> worth investigating. I believe there's a ticket for tor to use it by

Yes, will check into this. It seems like Android NDK may do this itself,
so this might accelerate our transition to using its arm cross-compiler.

+n8fr8