[tor-dev] Size issues with Orbot statically linking OpenSSL

Steven Murdoch Steven.Murdoch at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 16 00:30:23 UTC 2012

On 15 Jan 2012, at 20:47, Nick Mathewson wrote:
> Another thing to try: recent gccs and their toolchains have a trick where they can stick every function in its own segment, then tell the linker to dump the unused ones. I believe it's called "gc-segments" or something. I have no idea if it would work with openssl, but it could be worth investigating. I believe there's a ticket for tor to use it by default when possible.

I found a presentation on this which looks to contain useful information:

http://elinux.org/images/2/2d/ELC2010-gc-sections_Denys_Vlasenko.pdf

Although post suggests that the Android NKD may have the relevant options on by default:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7216543/does-android-ndk-build-with-gc-sections-and-how-to-disable

Steven.