[tor-dev] Size issues with Orbot statically linking OpenSSL

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Sun Jan 15 20:47:15 UTC 2012

On Jan 15, 2012 9:50 AM, "Nathan Freitas" <nathan at freitas.net> wrote:

>I did just want to run
> this by all of you to see if there are any options for limiting the size
> of libssl.a and libcrypto.a, and the resulting Tor binary.

Some stuff to try: openssl has lots of optional features and ciphers; you
could probably disable a lot of them.  There are configuration options to
do so.  If you're not sure what,  I could try to take a look at the list
some time this week.

Another thing to try: recent gccs and their toolchains have a trick where
they can stick every function in its own segment, then tell the linker to
dump the unused ones. I believe it's called "gc-segments" or something. I
have no idea if it would work with openssl, but it could be worth
investigating. I believe there's a ticket for tor to use it by default when
possible.

Yrs,
--
Nick