[tor-dev] Tor and DNS

Ondrej Mikle ondrej.mikle at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 22:42:36 UTC 2012

On 02/09/2012 10:58 PM, Ondrej Mikle wrote:
> On 02/09/2012 12:24 AM, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:

>>> OK.

>>> Without AXFR/IXFR we could limit total_len to 2 octets.
>>
>> I'd really like to be able to AXFR. I think it's important to have Tor's
>> DNSPort able to do some of the most basic and common DNS stuff.
>
> What about making a specialized tool for AXFR/IXFR (like tor-resolve)? Its
> interface could be listening for DNS packets and returning DNS-stream with
> AXFR/IXFR data. Since practically every DNS server open to AXFR/IXRF must listen
> on TCP, this can be much easier implemented using the already existing TCP
> tunneling in Tor.
>
> I think this solution would make the rest of design simpler.

Another good reason for separate tool is to be able to specify the actual server
where to ask for *XFR. Using just standard recursion and asking master NS may
not always give the results you want.

Standard recursion with AXFR never worked for me in cases of servers listed
here: http://axfr.nohack.se/

Ondrej