[tor-dev] Xeronet's torrc

Andrew Lewman andrew at torproject.is
Mon Dec 31 18:48:37 UTC 2012

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 09:22:00 +0545
Nathan Freitas <nathan at freitas.net> wrote:

> How does it work ? Well, Tor works just great 'out-of-the-box',
> however, by tweaking settings and controlling how Tor connects to its
> own network we can improve on privacy and security.

...based on what evidence?

> (1) Block 'Bad' Exit Nodes using: ExcludeNodes

If the 'Bad' flag is assigned, then you already cannot exit from the
relay. No need to block it.

> Recommended: 'problem' internet countries Block List: Afghanistan,
> Algeria, Armenia, Argentina, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Burma,
> China, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Georgia,
> Ghana, Guatemala, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Iran, Israel, Jordan,
> Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Libya, Macau, Malawi,
> Mali, Malaysia, Mauritania, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Morocco,
> Nepal, Nigeria, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Palestinian Territories,
> Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Qatar, Russia, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia,
> Somalia, South Africa, South Korea, Sudan, Sri Lanka, Syria, Taiwan,
> Tajikistan, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, UAE, Uganda,
> Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zimbabwe.

Why not just say 'block countries not full of white people'? Seriously,
wtf is up with that list.

This whole list is like alchemy and trying to turn water to wine. Using
the default torrc is probably far safer for 99.9% of users. I don't see
how this custom torrc is going to improve anything, other than an
attacker learning how unique you are in the tor network.

--
Andrew
http://tpo.is/contact