[tor-dev] want to contribute to tor

Sebastian G. <bastik.tor> bastik.tor at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 24 09:21:15 UTC 2012

Debamitro Chakraborti:
> Hi,
>
> I am a C/C++ programmer wanting to dabble in the world of open source. I
> got to know of Tor and I felt the product is an important one for humanity.
> I have downloaded, built and run tor and also torsocks. Are there any
> coding tasks needed in tor at present? Do let me know.
>
> Regards,
> Debamitro Chakraborti

Hi,

as non-Tor person I'd like to point you to:

https://www.torproject.org/getinvolved/volunteer.html.en#Projects

which lists projects with their use case and what it's written in. Below
this list there are some ideas of what could be done.

Getting an overview over the past:
https://www.torproject.org/docs/documentation.html.en#UpToSpeed

Design documents:
https://www.torproject.org/docs/documentation.html.en#DesignDoc

For developers:
https://www.torproject.org/docs/documentation.html.en#Developers

Papers about the research of anonymity:
http://freehaven.net/anonbib/topic.html#Anonymous_20communication

List of papers sorted by date, some cover Tor directly:
http://freehaven.net/anonbib/date.html

The Bug Tracker gives something to do on Tor [1], when looking for open
tickets regarding Tor with the keyword "easy" and Vidalia [2] looking
for all open tickets.

[1]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&component=Tor&order=priority&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&keywords=~easy

[2]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&component=Vidalia&order=priority

Actual developers and Tor officials have more insight on what's useful
to read and what you could do.

Thank you for your interest in Tor.

Regards,
Sebastian (bastik_tor)