[tor-dev] Testing in Tor

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Sun Dec 23 02:42:50 UTC 2012

> Yes :-) I've seen projects which have tests which take nearly 10 hours
> to run. However, the longer the tests take to run then the less likely
> that developers will run them.

Agreed. I run stem's unit tests more often than the integ tests since
those have the runtime of around five seconds. For the integ tests I
usually supply the '--test' argument so it only runs the test that I'm
interested in.

> ... except
> that ideally Tor needs to have about 100 times as many tests to get
> code coverage and quality (of Tor itself) up to the 90% plus range. So
> with this few tests taking 34 seconds then 100 times more tests would
> take in the many minutes / hours range.

Not necessarily. It mostly depends on what the tests do - there's a
few tests that take around five seconds each and a whole lot of other
ones that take a few milliseconds. We could greatly expand stem's test
coverage of tor without impacting the runtime much, and could probably
lower the runtime a fair bit if we put some more effort into it.

> It would be great if the tests themselves reported their own times.

Feel free to add an option for this, it would be reasonably easy to
do. Personally I find that it's enough to know the test module that's
taking a while, but I could see per-test runtimes being helpful.

> And also had a common output format to the standard Tor make test
> results.

I haven't looked at tor's testing output. Is it better? I invested
quite a bit of time in making stem's test output nice and easily
readable.

> However, during those pauses then I'm seeing almost no CPU, network,
> or disk activity which leads me to believe that some tests are not
> written as well as they could be.

I just ran the integ tests and it pegged the cpu of my poor little
netbook (it also took 63 seconds - it would be nice if it only took 34
seconds like your system...). I'm not sure why it isn't showing
significant resource use on your system.

> It looks like the
> tests are starting up daemons using fixed ports which stops other
> tests from running in parallel.

This shouldn't be an issue. Multiple controller can bind to the control port.

> So what's the difference between Stem tests and 'Chutney'?

Stem is a controller library with integration tests to check its
interaction with a live tor instance. Its tests focus on the behavior
of tor's control interface.

Chutney however is a framework specifically for testing how multiple
tor instances interact. It's under very light development by
comparison to stem...

https://gitweb.torproject.org/nickm/chutney.git/shortlog
https://gitweb.torproject.org/stem.git/shortlog

> Why are neither set of tests included in the Tor repo so that
> they can be run using make test?

Because they're both separate applications from the core tor
executable. Mixing the projects (and their git histories) would be
confusing. I would like to see stem be more actively used in core tor
development for testing though. In an ideal world new tor controller
features would include a corresponding test in stem...