[tor-dev] Testing in Tor

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Thu Dec 20 22:43:24 UTC 2012

>> You want to point at your tor binary, I think, not just the path
>> (i.e. something like "--tor ../tor-2.3.*/src/or/tor")
>
> That did the trick, thanks:

Oops, I'm sorry about not being clearer about that.

> Why do the tests take so long to run? I noticed that most of the time
> almost no CPU is used and hardly any network is used.

You consider 34 seconds a long time? Heh, the test suite we have at my
work takes on the order of twenty minutes to run...

You can see the individual test runtimes to get an idea of where the
time's going. The longest tests are things that parse the entire
consensus. The sleep() calls you mentioned account for precious little
(in total a few seconds) which is mostly to test things like "Tor
emits a BW event every second". Patches welcome.

> Could the
> individual tests be somehow run in parallel to speed things up?

See "Run integration targets in parallel" on...

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/stem

Cheers! -Damian