[tor-dev] Testing in Tor [was Re: Brainstorming a Tor censorship analysis tool]

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Thu Dec 20 02:31:33 UTC 2012

>  [...]
>> Maybe there is no automated testing for any Tor projects? At least a
>> quick search on the wiki only found [1] which lists possible ways to
>> test (but was created 7 months ago and apparently not updated since
>> and collecting dust) and [2] discussing a manual test procedure for
>> TBB. However, tor-0.2.3.25.tar.gz does reveal some test files but the
>> source code ratio of production code to test code is not inspiring at
>> first glance:
> [...]
>
> Be aware that we've also been using 'chutney' and 'experimentor' for
> integration testing.  They supplement coverage a bit, though they need
> more tests, and each tends to hide certain classes of error.

I hate being forgotten in testing discussions. Stem provides rather
extensive integration testing targeted at Tor's controller interface.

https://stem.torproject.org/

To run it simply...

git clone https://git.torproject.org/stem.git
cd stem
./run_tests.py --integ

Help expanding the tests even further would be greatly appreciated. -Damian