[tor-dev] Testing in Tor [was Re: Brainstorming a Tor censorship analysis tool]

Nick Mathewson nickm at alum.mit.edu
Thu Dec 20 00:35:00 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 5:45 PM, Simon <simonhf at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 1:49 PM, Nick Mathewson <nickm at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Simon <simonhf at gmail.com> wrote:
 [...]
>>   * Large parts of the codebase have been written in a tightly coupled
>> style that needs refactoring before it can be tested without a live
>> Tor network at hand.
>
> Much automated (unit) testing is done my mocking data structures used
> by functions and/or mocking functions used by functions. This is
> possible even with tight coupling.

What's your favorite C mocking solution for integrating with existing
codebases without much disruption?

FWIW, I'd be interested in starting to try some of what you're
describing about mandatory coverage in the 0.2.5 release series, for
which the merge window should open in Feb/March.

  [...]
>> If you like and you have time, it would be cool to stop by the tickets
>> on trac.torproject.org for milestone "Tor: 0.2.4.x-final" in state
>> "needs_review" and look to see whether you think any of them have code
>> that would be amenable to new tests, or to look through currently
>> untested functions and try to figure out how to make more of them
>> tested and testable.
>
> If I were you then I'd first try to create an end-to-end
> system/integration test via localhost that works via make test. This
> might involve refactoring the production code or even re-arranging
> source bases etc. The test script would build and/or mock all
> necessary parts, bring up the localhost Tor network, run a variety of
> end-to-end tests, and shut down the localhost Tor network.

We're a part of the way there, then. Like I said, we've got multiple
network mocking/simulation tools.  With a simple Chutney network plus
the unit tests, we're at ~ 53% coverage... and all Chutney is doing
there is setting up a 10-node network and letting it all bootstrap,
without actually doing any end-to-end tests.

(ExperimenTor and Shadow are both heavier-weight alternatives for
running bigger networks, but I think that here they might not be
needed, since their focus seems to be on performance measurement.
Chutney is enough for basic integration testing, and has the advantage
that it's running unmodified Tor binaries.  Stem is interesting here
too, since it exercises Tor's control port protocol pretty heavily.)

I've uploaded the gcov output for running the unit tests, then running
chutney with the networks/basic configuration, at
http://www.wangafu.net/~nickm/volatile/gcov-20121219.tar.xz .
(Warning, evil archive file! It will dump all the gcov files in your
cwd.)

The 5 most covered modules (by LOC exercised) are:
dirvote.c.gcov 553 1222 68.85
config.c.gcov 1429 1229 46.24
util.c.gcov 470 1352 74.20
routerparse.c.gcov 932 1436 60.64
routerlist.c.gcov 858 1509 63.75

The 5 most uncovered modules (by LOC not exercised) are:
routerparse.c.gcov 932 1436 60.64
connection_edge.c.gcov 972 384 28.32
rendservice.c.gcov 1249 202 13.92
config.c.gcov 1429 1229 46.24
control.c.gcov 2076 201 8.83

The 5 most uncovered nontrivial modules (by % not exercised) are:
dnsserv.c.gcov 148 0 0.00
procmon.c.gcov 48 0 0.00
rendmid.c.gcov 135 0 0.00
status.c.gcov 50 0 0.00
rendclient.c.gcov 506 26 4.89

> Next the
> makefiles should be doctored so that it is easier to discover the
> coverage, e.g. something like make test-coverage ? At this point the
> happy path coverage should be much larger than it is today but still
> way off the desirable 80% to 100% range. At this point one would
> consider adding the discipline to cover all new lines. The patch
> author has the personal choice of using unit and/or system/integration
> level testing to achieve coverage. And there is also a chance that no
> extra coverage is necessary because the patch is already coverage in
> the happy path.
>
> If you like the end-to-end localhost Tor network idea then I would be
> happy to collaborate on creating such a mechanism as a first step.

Yes, I like this idea a lot, especially if you're able to help with
it, especially if it's based on an already-existing
launch-a-network-on-localhost tool. I'm going to be travelling a lot
for the rest of December, but let's set up a time to chat in the new
year about how to get started.

Preemptive Happy New Year,
--
Nick