[tor-dev] Brainstorming a Tor censorship analysis tool

Philipp Winter identity.function at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 19:07:17 UTC 2012

Hi there,

Deliverable 6 for sponsor Z says:

> 6. Start a tool that a censored developer can run to discover why their Tor is
> failing to connect: brainstorm a list of "things to check", and sort them by
> how useful they'd be to check / how hard they'd be to build. (#7137)

The deliverable is due on Feb. 28, 2013 so we should get started.

Some background about the deliverable:
The reason for this project is that debugging possible censorship events is
tedious right now. We often have no access to machines in censoring countries
and we are dependent on users creating packet dumps for us. This tool should
speed up and automate this process to some extent. Censored users should run it
and the tool should then collect data which should then somehow reach us.

I created the following wiki page which should contain all the necessary
information:
https://censorshipwiki.torproject.org/TorCensorshipAnalyzer

Please add/modify stuff and share your opinion. Since there is quite some
overlap with OONI, it would be great if the OONI people could give feedback.

Cheers,
Philipp