[tor-dev] Flashproxy alpha bundles

Sebastian G. <bastik.tor> bastik.tor at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 13 18:59:31 UTC 2012

Alexandre:

> Windows:
> https://people.torproject.org/~dcf/flashproxy/tor-flashproxy-browser-2.4.6-alpha-2_en-US.exe
> https://people.torproject.org/~dcf/flashproxy/tor-flashproxy-browser-2.4.6-alpha-2_en-US.exe.asc

Thanks my platform. (Windows 7 64bit)

> Some specific things we would like feedback on are:
>
> - Is configuring port forwarding insurmountable for you?

I didn't have to do this. I guess I could do that, but "normal" end
users might not. (I know about the FP design.)

> - If it didn't work, was it at least clear what was wrong?

I thought the progress would have stopped here, but it just took much
longer than expected.

[Notice] Bootstrapped 50%: Loading relay descriptors.

Starting TBB again, reduces the time.

Might be the proxy that is in use, because on retrying again, I "stuck"
at 85% or 90%.

>  What was the output in the Vidalia log?

The bridge log lines were the only difference.

> - Were you able to use this as your main Tor process for a day?

Browsing is slower (due to the proxies in use I assume), but aside from
that I could use it to get the information I require.

> - Was it ever obvious to you that you had switched to another proxy
>  (this would have broken existing circuits)?

Maybe I was lucky. I couldn't say that I noticed that.

When I say proxy I'm referring to the JavaScript proxy that runs in the
browser.

It's an alpha bundle, but I did not expect it to dump everything where
the executable was. (Tor Browser\) I thought I would be able to select
where to extract.

I also saw a, to some maybe scary, console. Might be alpha stuff.

There might be more testing required for the durable of proxies. I
report back if I find something strange.

Regards,
Sebastian (bastik_tor)