[tor-dev] RFC on obfs3 pluggable transport

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Thu Dec 13 12:21:50 UTC 2012

Ian Goldberg <iang at cs.uwaterloo.ca> writes:

>> > Note that the above protocol assumes that p is very close to a power of
>> > 256, but that's true of the RFC 3526 groups 5 and 14 I pointed to.
>> >

>> Right.
>>
>> The only issue with your trick, is that I'm not looking forward
>> implementing a custom DH key exchange in Python (especially the DH
>> parameter generation and public key validation parts).
>
> You're in luck!  You don't get to implement any of those parts!  ;-)

You are very right!

RFC 3526 did the parameter generation for me, and since we are doing
anonymous DH and our threat model doesn't include active attacks there
is no point in doing public key validation (Initially, I was worried
about attacks like Tor's CVE-2005-2643).

This makes things much easier.

> Write a class UniformDH that has hard-coded constants p (the 1536-bit
> prime in group 5 of RFC 3526) and g = 2.  Compute len = the number of
> bytes of p = 192.  Its init method will pick a uniformly random len-byte
> string, and convert it to a long called priv.  Let flip = (priv % 2) and
> priv -= flip (so flip is the old low bit of priv, and priv is now even
> for sure).  Compute pub = pow(g,priv,p) and if flip == 1: pub = p - pub.
> Convert pub to a len-byte string and store it as pubstr.
>
> Add a method getpub() which returns pubstr.
>
> Add a method getsecret(theirpub) which converts theirpub (a len-byte
> string) into a long called theirpublong.  Compute secret =
> pow(theirpublog,priv,p) and convert secret into a len-byte string and
> return that string.
>
> That should be it.
>
> [You can use Crypto.Util.Number.{long_to_bytes,bytes_to_long} to
> accomplish the conversions above, if you're allowed to use PyCrypto.
> For the randomness, os.urandom() is fine.]

Many thanks for the help with the implementation! :)