[tor-dev] Idle connections in netstat

Andreas Krey a.krey at gmx.de
Thu Dec 13 07:31:29 UTC 2012

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 16:22:09 +0000, Angus Gardner wrote:
> Recently I have been noticing, in netstat output, a high level of
> established but idle TCP connections to other tor-hosts.
>
> (Out of 96 ESTABLISHED connections there are 90 with Recv-Q & Send-Q of 0.)

That pretty normal. Recv-Q get drained as fast as the tor process can
read it (I don't see any nonzero on my relay), and Send-Q only takes
the time of the TCP ACK from the other side to go back to zero, so
with casual surfing over the circuits you don't see many nonzero
Q values - only a dozen of the hundreds of connections on my relay.

Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@*.org>