[tor-dev] RFC on obfs3 pluggable transport

Ian Goldberg iang at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Dec 12 12:59:01 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 04:52:11AM +0200, George Kadianakis wrote:

> >> Ha. The Z_p stunt you describe is nifty! I will seriously consider it,
> >> if the telex-curve protocol doesn't work out without a pre-shared
> >> public key.
> >
> > Note that the above protocol assumes that p is very close to a power of
> > 256, but that's true of the RFC 3526 groups 5 and 14 I pointed to.
> >

> Right.
>
> The only issue with your trick, is that I'm not looking forward
> implementing a custom DH key exchange in Python (especially the DH
> parameter generation and public key validation parts).

You're in luck!  You don't get to implement any of those parts!  ;-)

Write a class UniformDH that has hard-coded constants p (the 1536-bit
prime in group 5 of RFC 3526) and g = 2.  Compute len = the number of
bytes of p = 192.  Its init method will pick a uniformly random len-byte
string, and convert it to a long called priv.  Let flip = (priv % 2) and
priv -= flip (so flip is the old low bit of priv, and priv is now even
for sure).  Compute pub = pow(g,priv,p) and if flip == 1: pub = p - pub.
Convert pub to a len-byte string and store it as pubstr.

Add a method getpub() which returns pubstr.

Add a method getsecret(theirpub) which converts theirpub (a len-byte
string) into a long called theirpublong.  Compute secret =
pow(theirpublog,priv,p) and convert secret into a len-byte string and
return that string.

That should be it.

[You can use Crypto.Util.Number.{long_to_bytes,bytes_to_long} to
accomplish the conversions above, if you're allowed to use PyCrypto.
For the randomness, os.urandom() is fine.]

   - Ian