[tor-dev] Detecting if a IP address belongs to a Tor Exit node.

Michael Zeltner m at niij.org
Tue Dec 4 17:51:16 UTC 2012

Excerpts from Julian Yon's message of 2012-12-04 14:10:50 +0100:
> On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 13:25:15 +0100
> Jorge Couchet <jorge.couchet at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm working with the ticket 7549
> > (https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/7549).
> > So, the question is: is there any other reasonable way (efficient
> > -development and execution time- and safe) to see if an IP address
> > belongs to a Tor Exit node?
>
> *looks at the ticket and your approach*
>
> Why not just run and query an Onionoo server?

Onionoo isn't really optimised in regards to giving out lists of exits, the
parsing of the JSON sounds like a duplicate effort to me. Also, shipping
Onionoo with every facilitator seems a bit overkill.

Please correct me if I'm missing something, but there's two options that are
easy to integrate that already exist:

Tor Bulk Exit List, if all you need is checking for access on port 80
https://check.torproject.org/cgi-bin/TorBulkExitList.py

And TorDNSEL, which would include checking for IP:port
https://www.torproject.org/projects/tordnsel.html.en

Best, Michael
--
https://niij.org/