[tor-dev] Damian's Status Report - November 2012

Sean Robinson seankrobinson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 17:43:16 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Damian Johnson <atagar at torproject.org>wrote:

> * Answered a handful of controller inquiries on our lists. Stem's now
> at a point where I don't mind suggesting it to developers. If you're
> scripting or writing an application around tor then please give stem a
> try! I'd love to get more feedback on where its rough edges are before
> we make an initial release.

Hi all,

I agree that Stem is ready for script/application development use.  I did a
five-hour solo sprint[0] this week and I was able to move my desktop client
controller from a branch of Damian's TorCtl to a branch of Damian's
personal Stem repository with about 80% functionality.

The main changes to my controller were removing large swathes of code that
are not needed, because Stem handles error conditions well and classes
inherit from object.  So, I do less error checking on my own and I can
directly sub-class from stem.control.Controller.

I have been using Stem with gevent[1] using monkey patching for socket and
threading.  I have not had crashes from this unforeseen mixing of
libraries.  This as an indication of the high quality of the Stem code.  I
have thrown Stem into a vastly different execution context and it still
operates correctly.

[0] This sounds so much better than, "I sat in front of my computer for
five hours straight, on a Saturday."
[1] http://www.gevent.org/

--
Sean Robinson