[tor-dev] Parallel release series for directory authorities?

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Fri Aug 31 23:02:42 UTC 2012

On Sat, Sep 01, 2012 at 12:36:51AM +0200, Linus Nordberg wrote:
> Just a thought. A few of the directory authorities, I think at least
> three, as well as the bridge authority run packages/ports only, not
> builds from source. We'd have to package our -da branch ourselves for
> those I guess. But that's probably a better option than the others.

Right. The people who are willing to run from git generally are fine
running master (and helping to find bugs), so it's really the people
who only run from packages that we need to consider here.

Maybe we should just enumerate the eight directory authorities and their
habits, rather than trying to generalize too early?

- I generally run moria1 from git master, to maximize the cool new bugs
I can find.

- I think weasel only runs tor26 from debs. I wonder what he would think
of us asking him to deb up a separate git branch for just a few people?
He says "I don't mind running 0.2.4 - it's not worse than running a fork
of 0.2.3."

- Linus runs maatuska from git, and is happy with git master too.

- I'm not sure about gabelmoo, dizum, dannenberg, turtles, and urras.

--Roger