[tor-dev] TBB Gentoo ebuild

julian julian.ospald at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 27 23:06:56 UTC 2012

On 08/27/2012 08:26 PM, Matthew Finkel wrote:

> Ah, I apologize, I thought having optional runtime deps were
> possible. I also agree that is should be obvious but I've learned
> to err on the side of caution, if possible.

Optional runtime-ONLY dependencies pulled in by a useflag are
possible, they just violate the _current_ spec ;)
GLEP 62 tries to enhance the spec, so we can get an implementation
where this is valid.

(OT stripped)

>> Definitely not. The intention is not to provide an all-in-one
>> experience. I already had those arguments with the guys from
>> #tor
>>

> Okay, so you want to add the TorBrowser to portage so that a user
> can emerge all of the components of the TBB and can use them as
> he/she sees fit, correct?

That's right, but I could however enhance the elog which is printed
out to the user after the build and installation is complete. I was
also considering to hard-mask this package. It's currently only marked
'unstable', but hard-masking would mean the user has to take extra
steps in order to install it which would maybe make it more clear that
this is not supported or recommended by Tor upstream.

>> All I am interested in is the question about the firefox
>> build-time configuration and if different build-time
>> configurations could lead to vulnerability in the tor network. If
>> there is the slightest doubt about that, I will remove this
>> ebuild at once or fix it.
>
> I'm not a browser dev, but I don't think this shouldn't be an
> issue. As long as the ebuild uses all of the security patches and
> extensions, it shouldn't be a problem. Also, if any vulnerabilities
> are introduced by this ebuild, it would only harm the user's
> anonymity and should not have an impact on the network.

Hmm, thanks for the evaluation. Where could I get a second opinion on
this?

cheers, hasufell