[tor-dev] TBB Gentoo ebuild

Alessandro Di Federico ale at clearmind.me
Tue Aug 14 07:29:21 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-08-12 at 18:28 -0400, Matthew Finkel wrote:
> After thinking about this for a little bit, here's my 2 cents. =)
>
> 1) The ebuild is specifically for building the Tor browser, not the
> bundle. The package name of the ebuild states this but the email
> mentions the bundle.

You're right, we want to build the Tor browser, not the TBB.

> 2) One of the best reasons for using the bundle is that it is
> self-contained. If you want to use the bundle for anonymity you can
> easily do this and then discard it will little trace. This becomes
> much more difficult with a system-level install.

This is true, but in some scenarios (e.g. full disk encryption) having a
system Tor Browser, could allow to have more easily sophisticated
configurations. Using Tor Browser could even be a company policy in
certain cases. Having a system Tor Browser would offer some advantages.

> 3) On the other hand, I see no reason to restrict a security-conscious
> user from using a more secure browser, as long as they understand the
> trade-offs. However, torprofile should not be an optional USE flag.
> Only adding some patches from upstream does not make it the
> Torbrowser.

Right, what we're willing to offer to the user is a web client which
looks exactly the same as the Tor Browser to the web server he's
connecting to, but leave all the rest easily configurable. Gentoo
philosophy focuses a lot on the freedom of choice.
The point now is be sure that our Tor Browser looks exactly like the
official one, therefore all my questions.

> 4) Given 3), is there a reason Tor is not at least an optional RDEPEND
> for torbrowser via a USE flag (or another way)? 5) If you did/do
> intend to create an ebuild for the TBB and not just the browser, it
> should provide the exact same experience as if the user downloaded it
> from torproject.org. I think this should include Vidalia launching
> Torbrowser once the network is configured. 6) Make sure the ebuild
> references Tor and not TOR

I think we'll require Tor and integrate the Tor Browser profile.

Thanks for your answer,
Ale