[tor-dev] Pyonionoo

Norman Danner ndanner at wesleyan.edu
Fri Aug 10 14:10:00 UTC 2012

Hi Karsten,

On 8/10/12 8:29 AM, Karsten Loesing wrote:
> Hi Norman,
>
> On 8/10/12 3:15 AM, Norman Danner wrote:
>> On 8/9/12 5:28 PM, Norman Danner wrote:
>>> Hi Karsten,
>>>
>>> We have a preliminary version of the Pyonionoo front-end at
>>>
>>>       git://github.com/meganchang/pyonionoo.git
>>>
>>> Make sure to look at the database branch.  We'd be happy to hear
>>> feedback.
>
> First feedback is that I'm having trouble installing cyclone. :/  What
> steps does it take from, say, a vanilla Debian Squeeze to an environment
> where `twistd -n cyclone -r pyonionoo.web.Application` works?  Ideally,
> these steps only include `apt-get install`, but if something else is
> needed, I'll try to convince weasel to run that on the Tor machine.

Oh dear; hadn't realized this was an issue.  We installed Twisted and
Cyclone from source.

There is a debian package for twisted (python-twisted), but not for Cyclone.

The issues below are pretty straightforward.  This one seems more of a
problem.

> Some more feedback after a _very_ quick look through the files:
>
> - Why do we need something like scripts/cookie_secret.py?

We probably don't.  We just jumped off of Sathya's first pass, and
didn't play with the Cyclone details at all.

> - Do the two handlers bandwidth.py and detail.py really need to list all
> the fields in the respective documents?  That seems hard to maintain
> when we make changes to the back-end.  Ideally, the front-end would
> simply consider these files as valid JSON strings without parsing them
> at all.

No, those are old versions and will be completely replaced.  We'll
follow your approach for these handlers:  use the query parameters to
determine the fingerprints of routers that match the parameters, then
just respond with the corresponding JSON files from the filesystem.

Hopefully we'll have an example of one of these that should enable one
to plug in Sathya's new back-end without modifying the handler classes,
just the database module.

> - pyonionoo/summary looks like example data that shouldn't be in the Git
> repo.  Similarly, summary.db is a binary file and probably shouldn't be
> in the Git repo.  Maybe the latter should be in .gitignore.

Correct, that shouldn't be there.

--
Norman Danner - ndanner at wesleyan.edu - http://ndanner.web.wesleyan.edu
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science - Wesleyan University