[tor-dev] Another key exchange algorithm for extending circuits: alternative to ntor?

Robert Ransom rransom.8774 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 23:53:30 UTC 2012

On 8/8/12, Nick Mathewson <nickm at freehaven.net> wrote:

> Michael Backes, Aniket Kate, and Esfandiar Mohammadi have a paper in
> submission called, "An Efficient Key-Exchange for Onion Routing".
> It's meant to be more CPU-efficient than the proposed "ntor"
> handshake.  With permission from Esfandiar, I'm sending a link to the
> paper here for discussion.
>
> http://www.infsec.cs.uni-saarland.de/~mohammadi/owake.html
>
> What do people think?

Ohhh-kay, after trying to make sense out of the details of their
security claims, I *hope* that they need to re-read and revise the
first few paragraphs of section 3.2.  (Perhaps while they're at it
they can replace the mentions of ‘ppt’ algorithms and attackers
throughout their paper with a useful claim about execution time.)

Robert Ransom