[tor-dev] Another key exchange algorithm for extending circuits: alternative to ntor?

aniket kate aniketpkate at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 11:46:56 UTC 2012

> Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 00:22:59 +0000
> From: Robert Ransom <rransom.8774 at gmail.com>
>
> On 8/8/12, Nick Mathewson <nickm at freehaven.net> wrote:
>
>> Michael Backes, Aniket Kate, and Esfandiar Mohammadi have a paper in
>> submission called, "An Efficient Key-Exchange for Onion Routing".
>> It's meant to be more CPU-efficient than the proposed "ntor"
>> handshake.  With permission from Esfandiar, I'm sending a link to the
>> paper here for discussion.
>>
>> http://www.infsec.cs.uni-saarland.de/~mohammadi/owake.html
>>
>> What do people think?
>

> * If you finish my implementation of the Ed25519 group operations
> (which you would need in order to implement this protocol), you can
> use them to implement a signature-based protocol (specified as
> A-DHKE-1 in http://eprint.iacr.org/1999/012), which requires only one
> precomputed and one on-line exponentiation per protocol run on the
> server when implemented with a slightly modified version of Ed25519.
> (The client's performance is much less important than the server's.)

I went through A-DHKE-1 description (Page 36 of Eprint 1999/012). I
find that A-DHKE-1 also requires one online signature generation on
the server side along with one online exponentiation. Therefore,
A-DHKE-1 is computationally more expensive than the discussed protocol
and probably even the ntor protocol based on the employed signature
scheme.

-Aniket